Once an avocado is picked, it takes about 7-10 days to ripen. For best results, don't store in the refrigerator as it will slow down the ripening process. If you have one that is still hard and you can't wait to eat it, put it in a paper bag along with a ripe apple, banana or tomato. The ethylene gas in the other fruit will cause your avocado to ripen in 24 hours. How cool is that?
Here are a few health benefits of avocados:
- They are highly anti-inflammatory
- Good for diabetics as they don't raise blood sugar
- Balanced omega fats
- Good for women's hormones
- They actually HELP you burn fat which results in weight loss
- Good for eye health due to carotenoid lutein
- Best fruit source for Vitamin E, an essential vitamin that protects against many diseases and helps maintain overall health
Guacamole (of course!)
On my salad
On any kind of taco, sandwich or lettuce wrap
With eggs...It might sound strange, but it's a great combination
Cut it in half, put a little seasoning or Sriracha sauce on it and dig in!
Add to a smoothie to make it silky smooth and creamy
So stop worrying about the fat in avocados...they are good for you so enjoy them often!